Saturday, September 22, 2012

The Next Step

My beta readers gave me some great comments. Since I have a better understanding of where my series is going, I'm editing my first novel differently this time around.

If I come across a pivotal scene, I make a note of it as reference for the series. This book brought up a lot of questions. I'm writing them down to remind myself the next two in the series needs to answer them.

This will be the first book I self-publish. I said before I was going this route but I realized I haven't talked much about it.

We all know the publishing industry is on shaky ground. People keep saying it's going through a complete overhaul but no one really knows what it will look like 5, 10 or even 20 years from now. This is the main reason I decided to self-publish my book. I don't feel comfortable investing a great deal of my time and money into entering such an unstable structure. I also like the idea of being in complete control of the creation of my book.

That being said, this was not something I wanted to do. But, like my stories, the idea kept nagging at me. My instincts told me to go this route so, I shelved my own fears, rolled up my sleeves and got to work.

I'm not doing everything myself. My mother is starting a small press publishing company- Aubey LLC, I did the website by the way- still tweaking it a bit. She's helping me through this process. I don't have to find a professional editor because she knows plenty.

Self-publishing is like starting your own business and I've been enjoying myself immensely.

Yeah, it is a lot of work especially since I have a full-time job and I'm working part-time for Aubey. Sometimes I feel like I'm drowning but, I'm glad I chose this route. I've been picturing my book cover for months now and I'm super excited to find a graphic designer who can bring it out of my head. I'm also excited about the book trailer I have in mind.

Traditional vs. Indie. One is not better than the other. Sometimes, I think it would be nice to have a team of people behind my book. I haven't entirely ruled out the possibility of going the traditional route but, for right now, this works for me.